Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hey, monkeys, read and discuss

So The Reading Ape brought up some great questions over at his blog. Being that I have ignored my own blog for the last several weeks, I thought this was a perfect way to jump back into the game. My answers are brief, since I had originally responded in the comments section of the post. Then I decided to post it here. I encourage everyone to get in on this discussion. I think it's a worthy and interesting one.

1. What does book blogging do best?
2. If you write a book blog, why do you?
3. What do you think the future of book blogging is?
4. What do your favorite book bloggers do?
5. If you could tell all book bloggers one thing, what would it be?
6. If you could change one thing about book blogging, what would it be?
7. How do you think book blogging fits into the reading landscape?
8. What about your own book blogging would you like to do better/differently?

1. I want to say book bloggers, unlike some haughty reviewers at the NYer, NYT, Paris Review, etc., inject an immediate and fresh discussion to books while lacking the pretension that often accompanies literature and reviewers of literature.

2. Mostly to give myself a way of instant gratification. Since I'm no longer a journalist and no journals find any of my stories publishable, I have nothing in print. It gives my writing a home. It's something, I guess.

3. I'd like to see a time when blogs like yours (not mine, per se, as I do it solely for fun and not on a serious basis) get the exposure they rightfully deserve. Some of the blogs I read are incredibly thoughtful and should have a wide(r) readership.

4. Going back to point one, I think they present their opinions in a readable way and give objective opinions (I don't always do that, but, then, I don't care what people think).

5. People are reading you, even if you don't think they are, so keep writing.

6. Sometimes I feel like many bloggers are afraid of writing about classics. Maybe it's me, but there seems to be a lack of blogs that are solely focusing on literature before 1950. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I think challenging yourself as a reader is important. And sometimes, I think, that means reading books that might have horse and buggies in them rather than Cadillacs. Does that make sense?

7. I find that I read only about three or four blogs these days. I find there is so much to read that if I focused on more, I'd have no time for other pursuits. With that said, the product better be worthy and timely and almost constant or there's no reason to do it (I am a lazy blogger—I should practice what I preach).

8. As I just said, I wish I posted more. Content is a problem and so are other commitments. Take, for example, this lengthy reply on your blog. I guess I should've made this into my own post. In fact, that's what I'm going to do right now.

No comments: